Friday, June 30, 2006

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

One of my favorite experiences happened years ago while my husband, Rusty, and I were scuba diving. We both spotted an octopus at about the same time. It was safely tucked into one of the cavities of a small reef outcropping.

As I approached it for a better view, I could see its smooth, velvety flesh, which was rolled loosely into a ball and had a lovely rose-colored hue to it. A few minutes later, having grown tired of me staring at it, it darted out of its cubbyhole in Rusty's direction. As I swam toward Rusty, I lost sight of it. The octopus seemed to have vanished.

I indicated to Rusty that I had no idea where our eight-armed friend had gone. Meanwhile, Rusty pointed emphatically at part of a long reef about three feet away from me. Using my impressive body language, I shrugged my shoulders and lifted my hands, which clearly translated to, "What the heck are you pointing at?"


Rusty did his best octopus impression and pointed again. There, right in front of my eyes, was our tentacled friend, but it wasn't rose-colored anymore. For that matter, only a small ripple of smooth flesh remained underneath as it stretched itself thinly over the reef and disappeared.

Poof! No bells, no whistles, no clouds of dust. Just poof. Color, shape, texture, all transformed within less than a minute. What was smooth became gritty, coarse and bumpy. What was rose-colored was now reef-colored, mostly a shade of white with flecks of gray, brown and green. Its whole body blended seamlessly into the reef and became invisible.

This video gives you the unique opportunity to observe an octopus as it completely changes its color, texture and shape. They're awesome creatures!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only can they change colors, but they can ooze thru cracks effortlessly. I remember a fish store owner telling us that an octopus was sneeking out of his aquarium every nite into the neighboring aquarium to steel fish. Pretty clever.

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing a television program long ago regarding the same subject. The octopus was at a research facility of some sort (perhaps Scripps, I don't remember).

Anywhosit, the folks there were absolutely baffled regarding what was soon to become the disappearing fish caper. Little did they suspect that the octopus did it!

What really amazed me was that the octopus was clever enough to get back into his aquarium after the dirty deed was done. Cunning little devil!

So today's post is especially for you, Con!