Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Spare Keys And Missing Socks

How many of you have a collection of spare keys, which you never use, but dare not throw away, because you have no idea what lock they might open?

Do you sometimes wonder how it is that you came to own so many of them?

Well, wonder no longer. I have the answer. Well, I, at least, have a theory.

It begins with your laundry. You carefully sort it (some of you do), put a load in the wash, then, dry it. And, at some point, you might even fold it. 'Lo and behold, as you're matching up the socks with their mates, there's at least one... maybe two or three, sometimes even four... with no mate that matches it.

What happened to those missing socks? Yes! I know it's hard to believe. They've become spare keys!

The mystery of mate-less Tupperware lids and mate-less Tupperware bottoms, however, continues to elude me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's almost as annoying as selling 10 hot dogs and only 8 buns. Is there anything sadder than a mate-less weiner?

Anonymous said...

*cough* Connie, you kill me! LOL!

Maybe the missing socks hide for awhile until, metamorphosis complete, they emerge from their hiding place as a spare key. :)

Connie and I have been going for frequent walks, now that the snow has melted, and we've been surprised to see how many socks we've been finding in the gutters. It's so sad.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Dave! You definitely married a lady with an exceptional sense of humor.

Connie, did you just think that up on the fly?

Socks in the gutter? Maybe the spare keys metamorphosed back to socks.

Just wait until you hear about the women's feet conspiracy, which some women will definitely want to hear.

Another day, perhaps. :)

Anonymous said...

LMAO at this whole conversation! Candace, I think you came up with the perfect answer to where all the missing socks go when they mysteriously disappear. I just lost one of my favorite socks the other day, and it makes NO sense. I'll probably find it was a spare key someday in the future. LOL!

Anonymous said...

I've solved the problem of missing socks at my house. I've taken every single sock in the house (both mine and my fiance's) and thrown them away. I then went to Wal-mart and bought five packs of mens athletic socks and five packs of womens athletic socks. They are very easy to tell apart because the men's socks have a red stripe on the toe and the women's socks have a pink stripe. Then i bought 6 pairs of men's dress socks in three three different colors (brown, black, tan). Now, I don't even bother pairing my socks. I've separated the sock drawer with small baskets, and group like socks together in the basket. Now, in the morning, all we have to do is open the drawer and pull out two socks from the smae basket. No more having to match socks (or deal with mate-less ones).